I poured off (while measuring) and discarded the water that had become very salty from the brine soaked pickles. Today was the day to chop them and cover them this more boiling water. You might think that if a gallon of water didn’t cover them whole that you would need more to re=cover them but a gallon was plenty since they were chopped.
To the boiling gallon of water I added 2 Tablespoons of Horseradish and 2 Tablespoons of Alum. I was so bored on days 2 – 7 that I thought of just grinding up one of those big old deodorant crystals since I didn’t have any Alum. I knew it would probably be less expensive but I wasn’t sure how much to grind up until knowing how much water it would take to cover the chunks of pickle. We just bought Alum at the grocery store.
A note on the horseradish. My Grammy’s recipe didn’t say more than “2 Tbs. horseradish per gallon of water.” I am assuming that didn’t mean prepared horseradish so we got a whole hulking root and I grated up the 2 Tbs. I needed. I am glad I bought the alum because it saved my energy for grating up this tough root after I peeled off the rough exterior. They say fresh horseradish can make you cry when you grate it, I guess mine wasn’t that fresh.
We poured the boiling mixture of water, horseradish and alum to cover the chunks and now they sit for another day. They aren’t floating so I didn’t need the plate to hold them down this time. I can’t wait until Day 10 to to see if they absorb some of the solution now that they are cut!