Jim made us some FOOD’s Amazing Cilantro Tofu Sandwiches for lunch. He pretty much stayed to the recipe he found in the NY Times except for a quick sauté of the corn and peppers instead of grilling. The flavors were great together and it was a perfect summertime sandwich.
Cilantro Tofu Sandwich
A 1-pound block of organic extra-firm tofu (find one that is not too dry)
For the marinade:
3 tablespoons soy sauce, preferably tamari
1/2 tablespoon minced ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tablespoon minced shallot
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds, lightly toasted and ground
1/4 teaspoon minced jalapeño
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
2 1/4 teaspoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon lime zest
3 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 generous bunch cilantro, finely chopped
For the grilled corn relish:
1 large ear white corn
1/4 large red bell pepper, roasted
1/4 large yellow bell pepper, roasted
1/4 generous bunch cilantro, finely chopped
Pinch of cumin seeds, lightly toasted and ground
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
For each sandwich:
1 4-ounce slice of tofu
1/4 large or 1/2 small Hass avocado, thinly sliced
1/2 to 3/4 cup corn relish
Sliced heirloom or good roma tomatoes, in season only
2 slices seeded sandwich bread
About 2 teaspoons Vegenaise
1. Pat the tofu dry with paper towels and cut laterally into 4 equal squares, approximately 1/3 inch wide. They should be just the right size for the sandwich bread.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment. In a large, wide bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the marinade. Pat each square of tofu with paper towels, then dip into the marinade, making sure to coat both sides. Transfer to the baking sheet.
3. Bake the tofu for 7 to 10 minutes, until the edges are just beginning to color and the marinade sets on the surface of the tofu. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
4. For the corn relish, grill the corn until it colors lightly. Remove the kernels from the cob. Peel, seed and dice the roasted pepper and toss with the roasted corn and remaining relish ingredients in a medium bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning.
5. For each sandwich, spread a thin coating of Vegenaise on each slice of bread. Top the bottom slice with a slice of baked marinated tofu. Fan thin slices of avocado over the tofu. The avocado helps the relish adhere to the sandwich. Top the avocado with relish – they use about 3/4 cup at FOOD, but 1/2 cup will work – and in season top the relish with slices of heirloom or good roma tomatoes. Top with the second slice of bread. Serve with a baby greens mix that includes some arugula. Some of this can go on the sandwich.
Yield: 4 sandwiches.